Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday afternoon

     I love Sunday afternoons after church with the sun coming into the south windows. It is always a time when I think time stands still and I can get so much done, like sewing, reading or just watching a movie. As time goes on in the day reality comes into play and I think of all the things I should have done like some type of housework and suddenly the weekend is gone. Today I have chosen to do a little of that housework but reflect on my weekend as the sun tries to stream into the window.
     My family has always seemed to be busy on weekends. While the boys were young we were most certainly busy during the week with school and all of the activities. Weekends were a time to do things together like going to antique stores when they were really young or traveling to Anderson on an almost monthly basis to see my parents. It has now become a time when I enjoy getting together again with the family. Which brings me to a great Saturday.
     Yesterday was the birthday party for my youngest grand daughter. My son and his wife moved to Columbus, Indiana a little over a year ago from the south side of Indianapolis because that his where he works and her family lives. They also have a son that will be 3 in May. My daughter-in-law is a great mother and had everything decorated with pink and yellow including the little princess. Her parents, aunts and uncles, grandfather and cousins were there as well as my other two sons, another daughter-in-law and grand daughter. (I always hate the fact that my third daughter-in-law misses so much on the weekends because she works in the E.R at the local hospital.) My husband's brother and his wife also came from Noblesville area to join us.
     We found ourselves sitting around the living room talking as if we were old dear friends and laughing about how the boys would 'create' memories for today. My sister-in-law just repeated several time that she is glad that she did not have boys. I love this part of my life. I believe that God gave me these boys for a reason. He knows that I would accept their uniqueness, sense of humor, many activities and love for each other. I am not sure how I would have handled the drama of girls. My boys were taught to work hard and play with spirit. I am amazed at how they have grown into such responsible young men with wives and families of their own. I see this part of my life as one of my biggest blessings.
     I will leave you now with your Sunday Sunshine and hope you have time to stop and think about your blessings and thank the Lord for the great things He has done for you.

1 comment:

  1. "Sunday Sunshine" is a very good thing. Your post brought a smile to my face. I love that you taught your boys "to work hard and play with spirit." I have the same hope for my own children.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete