Monday, March 4, 2013

Winter weather

I am sitting here watching the weather report. They are saying that we are now in a winter storm warning. There is a chance for up to 8 inches of snow depending where the storm tracks. Ugh. I just want to say that I am not a fan of snow, ice and cold weather. I would much rather be warm, drive in sunshine and see and hear the birds.

I think that as I have grown older I watch the weather more than I ever did in the past. I try to not let it concern me and in fact say that if the rock is wet, it is raining and if the rock is white, it is snowing and if it is hot and dry then the sun is shining. My son told me that if the rock is gone then it is windy. So true Gabriel. I have always felt that my husband was obsessed with the weather as he would make plans and then become very angry when it messed up his plans. He feels that the weathermenn are the best paid liars in the world.

When I was young I would go sledding with my brothers on the hill behind our house. They had two paths. The first went straight down the hill of which I usually used. The other went between some trees in a zig-zag pattern. They would light kerosene can lights and sled into the dark hours in the night. We would also make snowmen in the front yard every time it snowed. My own boys were much the same when they were young. They would play outside in the snow for hours building snow forts in the drifts or sledding through the apple trees.

I did enjoy this part of winter and don't remember being concerned with what was going to happen because of snow and ice. Perhaps that is because I didn't have to worry about driving on the ice or snow. I also didn't concern myself with how it affected my life. It is interesting how age changes our perspective of many things. Today it is the weather, tomorrow it will be something else but whatever it is I need to continue to look for the hot, dry rock. For me the sunshine brings smiles and ease to the challenges of growing older.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Deb, I love this post! I love the snow, by the way! haha

    ReplyDelete